Re: [CBQ] Re: Double Heading Steam

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Double Heading Steam
From: John Manion <railbass@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:38:16 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1245472782; bh=ObhSbhA9FidNNsVc0mGnRinBp5uycjucKfmCN18VS8I=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:In-Reply-To:References:X-Google-Sender-Auth:Message-ID:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=JeJGYfpVKfHCKqcEEvD1YhGaMkTCyFUSNf8vjiOujAKMeZYuBnvGjEWvl14sPaMuehJnZubkRTIT3+FBeT4GanFfnT9WIoDwoh2RcnXGcpSZ0b8S9ps7z7xe+UWlF9o4
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I am a member of the Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec, where double-headed
steam is a daily operation on eastbound passenger trains from Chama to
Cumbres Pass on the 4% grade.   Heavy passenger trains usually require two
engines on the point and one behind the last coach.   The only limitation is
that when the train reaches Lobato Trestle, the helper on the point has to
uncouple and cross, then the road engine pulls the train across to
recouple.   This is necessary because the trestle was built in 1883 and will
not support the weight of two K-36 engines.   The crews do use whistle
signals, but radios are the most common communications these days.   The
crews try to keep everything historic, but safety is the primary concern.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO