[CBQ] Re: Interchange to Soo line

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Interchange to Soo line
From: "Douglas Harding" <dharding@nethtc.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:33:38 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve the Railroads, and Government agencies overseeing railroads, kept all
kinds of statistical records on this very subject. How
much time do you wish to spend digging through dusty tombs in the back shelves
of certain research libraries? But unless you find
someone who has already done that, you will need to do it yourself. The
information is out there, but not always very accessible.

You might check with Jim Singer as he has done some similar type research. But
Jim is not on line, you will have to contact him
some other way.

Are you looking for how many cars were interchanged in a given year, or a
listing by day or week or a specific listing of the cars
themselves? Because all this kind of information was kept in one form or
another. But not always was it saved. Nor is it easily
available just for the asking.

A while back Ted Richardson made available a CD with an extensive spreadsheet
showing each car interchanged between the MILW and
the IC at, I believe, Davis Jct. ILL. This was based on records someone saved
from the trash bin in a depot. And I have copies of
what are called "Station Car Records" for two small towns on the M&StL in Iowa,
which show every car that was received or shipped
over a 20+ year period, the mid 40's into the 60's. It is fascinating stuff,
when you can find it.

Doug Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org