Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Trackage around St. Joseph

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [SPAM][CBQ] Trackage around St. Joseph
From: "Archie" <kliner@mywdo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 01:02:03 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Glen,  Citizens of St Joe organized a road in 1853 called the Platte County RR
Co and built north 17 miles to Savannah in 1860.  In 1855 they organized a road
called the Atchison and St Joseph RR Co and built 19.4 miles south to Winthrop
in the year 1859.  That same year they organized the Weston and Atchison RR Co
and built south 15.24 miles from Winthrop to Weston in 1861.  In July of 1859
all three companies were united by contracts.  In 1863 the name of the Platte
County RR Co was changed to the Platte Country RR Co..  In 1864 they defaulted
on loans from the state of Missouri and by a special act of the state
legislature in February of 1865 the state as owner , vested title to the entire
properties from Savannah to Weston jointly in the two companies namely the
Atchison and St Joseph and the Weston and Atchison and they agreed to complete
the roads and widen the guage.  The legislature in March of 1867 changed the
A&StJ to Missouri Valley RR Co and consolidated them with the the W&A.  The
MVRR extended north to Maryville 34.09 miles in 1869 and south to North Kansas
City 25.26 miles in that same year.  This brought the length of the MVRR to
111.35 miles from Maryville to KC.  I will continue later with the building out
of Council Bluffs but I am sleepy.  Regards, Archie   PS I'm not smart but WW
Baldwin was.