RE: [CBQ] Shortened Ladders and removed roof walks

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Shortened Ladders and removed roof walks
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 07:36:29 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I di not recall actual date either (have a copy of the AAR bulletin somewhere)
but it was NOT mandatory to remove them per se.  It stated that RR's must
maintain roofwalks (aka running boards) or remove them.  RR's by that time were
often not maintaining them due to financial conditions and the fact they were
seldom used.  Many cars kept their roofwalks at 1st if a) they were still in
good shape or b) they were on covered hoppers and the like.  I last saw a
brakeman walking across a moving train on the IC in Waverly, IA in 1968 - was a
derailment train so I'd guess some brakes were b/o.   Cars with high ladders &
roofwalks existed well into the late 70's.  Gerald

To: cbq@yahoogroups.comFrom: qutlx1@aol.comDate: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:31:39
-0500Subject: [CBQ] Shortened Ladders and removed roof walks

As in all things mechanical on RR cars it is the AAR that sets the rules as to
changes in standards,not the individual RRs.If my memory is correct it was
either 1967 or 1969 that the AAR committee on safety appliances revised the
rules to require the removal of roof walks and the shortening of ladders. Into
the 70's we were still,on occasion,walking"over the tops" to knock off sticking
brakes,etc while moving.Leo Phillipp**************One site has it all. Your
email accounts, your social networks, and the things you love. Try the new
AOL.com
today!(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp%26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=emlcntaolcom00000001)[Non-text
 portions of this message have been removed]