[CBQ] Don't unsubscribe, and some CB&Q content --- was: A matter of Ch

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
From: lyle dowell <slyone@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:39:55 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve, if you must unsubscribe, there is a link at the bottom of every
email that makes it happen. However, consider this 'ill-advised and
divisive' post an aberration. Posts like this are pretty uncommon on
this list. I agree that I'd rather not have to read political views on a
list dedicated to a subject that has no political nature (other than in
a historical context). The delete key is a very powerful key, and takes
care of it very quickly. While it doesn't let the originator know of
your displeasure in the material he chose to send, it ends up where it
belongs .....  gone.

Steve Doyle wrote:
> Please unsubscribe me from this List. After Bob and Pat's ill-advised and
> divisive political emails, I no longer choose to belong to this Group.
> Railroading is a diversion for me from the everyday world. I resent these
> postings as  inappropriate intrusions.
> Steve Doyle

CB&Q content :  a couple of weeks ago I came across some photos I had
never seen before of an Oregon Turn using a shorty baggage/combine on
the rear, apparently in place of a way car.  The photo is visible here:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=253167&nseq=2

 Maybe everyone else has seen this, I hadn't. Was this rear end vehicle
a somewhat common practice?  Special purpose, and if so, for what?

I'm also curious about the lead boxcar, Northhamton & Bath. Anyone care
to speculate if it was carrying anything special?  What I've learned
about the NB is is that it is a short (~7 mile) short line in the cement
industry area  around Allentown, PA. It seems odd that Portland Cement
would need to be delivered to north central Illinois from Pennsylvania.
I realize its entirely possible that this car simply is a victim of a
"need empty box car .... here's one!!"  type shipment, but off of a
short line puzzles me a bit. I'd like to think there was a bigger
reason. Anybody got one?  (besides Charlie V, he and I've discussed it a
bit)

Lyle

--