[CBQ] Re: Coal Chute and Water Tower Colors

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Coal Chute and Water Tower Colors
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 03:02:19 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1224298952; bh=KcmapaUECnjleY2JFt9rZXG9rdumwI/6/F82RiT1sms=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:To:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:User-Agent:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Yahoo-Post-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mBMaJQzT7n9Btv6o9MvMOufcnuR0cwuiv8xKxp+CBfgTlZygpoAa+6JBOMEAs/8Ld3seYzkY1ibVyR6lJ8Z0Uyy2bYOCDKq9BZhy1Za7VwItaAx0mGzb7Uh0kDbPgp5U
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Are you saying that paint was mixed by crews at the shop or roundhouse
level? Did some central headquarters just ship out the pigments? Was
"Indian Red" simply Iron Oxide, or were other pigments combined? If
so, did they come pre-mixed (in terms of proportions, like dry
ingredients in a cake mix) or did each shop mix its own pigments? That
could result in quite a range of colors! (I can't imagine "bronze"
could be one pigment!)

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@...> wrote:

> In 1904 the Q standard was changed to Indian Red with bronze green
trim on buildings.
> Remember a painter also had to grind the iron oxide pigments and
then mix with the linseed or milk to make the paint so often color
varied even before it was put on the object to be painted.
> It seems the colors changed with the change to cement board
siding(white) and when the stucco was applied to depots
> SJH

rolling stocks to signals to structures. Apparently this was the Q
standard.  Tim