Re: [CBQ] New to Modeling

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New to Modeling
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:29:00 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Carl-

I got into N Scale to AVOID modeling the CB&Q!!!
I was driving myself crazy in the mid-sixties trying to model the Q in HO....I
had a LMB O1a which had been rebuilt by friend Pat Egan
into the 4978 (then in LaSalle but now in Mendota) and a Trains, Inc.  1906
Drovers Waycar corrected to NE1 normal appearance.   I
noted that any Q equipment between the tender and waycar would have to be
scratchbuilt, and even at that Northeastern didn't make
Z stock small enough to make the cars.   So I went into N Scale figuring nobody
would ever be crazy enough to try to model prototypically
in N..... I developed a fictional Galesburg & Savanna Rwy that just happened to
have what the N Scale manufacturers were building.
This lasted for about five years when Oriental brought out the CZ and Hallmark
started doing railroad specific detailed E7s and E8s....and
I was back to modeling the Q, but in N Scale!!!   Later, I went to work for
Con-Cor and Kato, and now Precision Craft, and further did it to
myself by causing N Scale Q stuff to be made.....

If you want to do Q steam, HO is still ahead of the game in both Brass and
Plastic.   However, we have plenty of Q diesels and rolling stock
to keep you broke if you model mostly 1950 and later when steam was mostly out
of the picture.   N operates as well as (or better on average)
than HO so operationally there is no disadvantage to the smaller size.

Bottom line I'd determine for yourself if the scale is more attractive to
you..... it does offer the possibility of modeling more in the same space,
but HO still has advantages in Q-specific rolling stock (Waycars, resin kits
for Q equipment, brass passenger cars, etc..) that N still has to catch
up on.   We do have most of the major diesels (even E5s if you are willing to
start with a resin shell) and some major prewar and postwar Budd
cars, the CZ, and Pioneer Zephyr in plastic.

Charlie Vlk