Re: [CBQ] F3s on the CZ

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] F3s on the CZ
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:09:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob-
I don't know how long the PAs lasted on the CZ but I think there is a common
misperception that the F3s were pulled off of the CZ earlier than they actually
were.
I haven't done any documentation but it seems like they lasted at least until
the last batch of E8s were delivered in August and September of 1953 or maybe
until
the first batch of E9s in December of 1955.  The Grayback Bulletin says they
were regeared for freight service in 1955 but it seems like I've seem photos of
them in
passenger paint on passenger trains later than that....
It looks like they were used on the Kansas City Zephyr for a while and general
passenger pool after being bumped from the CZ.   Their use in freight service
is later
than most of us think too.  I know one of the units was in West Burlington for
painting in freight colors at the time of the 5632 "Birthday Party" (which
really should
have been conducted as a wake).  I don't know if that was a repaint or the
first time it was in freight colors.... but it would have been 1964 or
thereabouts.
Charlie Vlk

  . It didn't take long
  for the D&RGW to move them to other service, about the same amount
  the Q took to change their originally assigned locomotives.

  .