Re: [CBQ] GP-7's in Black

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GP-7's in Black
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 22:46:57 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Paul,
Atlas did paint Geeps in Black and Grey and SDs too..  We commonly call these
animals "Blackbirds". When you called it black I thought of the all Black
scheme the earliest switchers came in. Those had the steam engine herald on the
cab sides. Classy but not the cool factor as a Blackbird.

Getting back to your painting issue, Microscale has done a great job on this
scheme. The most difficulty I've had is with the sill and separating  stripes.
Sometimes they break apart as you are pulling them into position. Keep the body
wet until there into position and blot the excess away. Prod into final
position and apply your Microsol or set with a fine brush like a #1.I found out
that sometimes it is a problem on Microscale's side owing to QC problems and
not enough coverage of the clear varnish during printing. So it may take some
of their auxiliary stripes sets to complete the job but hey, that's why its
called a hobby. You're throwing away money so buy extra sets.

The important thing to remember is that the sill stripes are RED over YELLOW
and the separating stripe ( thin ones at the top) are YELLOW over RED. also
work with photos not the generic instructions that come with the decals.

Use a Light Gray like Lettering Gray  or Accupaint's CB&Q Gray but not as dark
as UP Gray. Use a "Steam Power Black" for the base.
As far as your skill level, I always felt that is something you work on to
improve. I would have missed out on some really cool Q models if I stayed at my
"screwdriver an Athearn kit together" level I was at in '74. I would buy stuff
like resin kits with the attitude that some day I'll work myself up to that
level. You experiment on techniques and practice on lesser kits or even pick up
some junk cars and practice masking off sides and painting 2 color cars. Throw
them out and move on.

If you do paint this Geep, lay the gray on first, let it dry for at least a day
and then mask off the Gray for the Black. What you will be doing is an old
Printing technique called "Trapping" the gray with the Black. You paint the
Gray below the imaginary separating line below the radiator frame. DON'T paint
the Gray to the line and than paint the Black to the Gray hard edge, that's
more difficult than it should be. When you tape off the gray for the Black
application make it a midway point that the stripe decals will cover. get it?
The decal will hide the separation line between the 2 colors.

Make sure you add the Pyle gyralight castings front and back, also the steam
generator  exhaust & breather on the front panel on the nose ( IF needed). That
is on your p. 64 image.There is also an extension on the fireman's side of the
long hood that covers the cab heater. On top of it is an exhaust stack. That is
a real nice touch you can always add later. Yu can't see it on a front 3/4
shot, look for a full side shot for that.
If you decide to do the project and use an undecorated model, try to find one
that has Black handrails. Some of the models like Proto 2000 have gray and need
that special polycarbonate paint for adhesion to the slippery plastic railings.
I don't know what the Proto GP7s look like in N but the HO version has the nose
stripes painted on the cab front and back surfaces. This is WRONG and should be
Black.

Well I've spent way too much time on the interweb and haven't done so much as
put KDs on a car.

Rob Manley
"Modeling will get you through times of no money better than money will get you
through times of no modeling."