Re: [CBQ] Ties

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Ties
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 19:05:31 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
That is the way we use to build track at IRM as well as tear it up all over the
Chicago Land to get the materals to build more as more and more equiptment
showed up.  We use to get called out of any work on cars to build track as it
took  10 guys on each side of a rail to move.
I now work at a Museum in Lousiana which need some track TLC. The ties are from
the 40's or better and a lot still good
SJH

"Cyril T. Svobodny" <ctsvobodny@yahoo.com> wrote:
   "Railroad ties do last a very long time, even in poorly drained
 locations."  During the very early 70's I helped on the MTM(Minn.
 Transp, Mus.) Lake Harriet restoration of the streetcar line in
 Minneapolis.  The TCRT had removed the rail(scraped) in 1953 but left
 the ties. We came along 20 years later, and were able to use 1 in 5 of
 the old ties.  They were no longer ballasted, but just in dirt.  Not
 bad for unkept R-O-W.  When we got done restoring the line averything
 was properly ballasted etc.  The track gang forman had been a section
 forman for the Milwaukee Road.  All the trackwork was by hand back
 then.  When he and we got done, you could have runn the Hiawatha thru
 at speed.  Most of us had never layed track before that time. I think
 we did good all considered.  First year of operation the MTM carried
 50,000 riders on that line with only one streetcar(#1300 built in
 1908).