[CBQ] Use of Official Equipment Registers for dated info

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Use of Official Equipment Registers for dated info
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 00:17:53 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Years back Iwas comparing data from one of my Offical Freight
Equipment Registers and noted the Burlington data was slightly
different from a primary Q source (an Annual Report or internal
roster, I forget which).  Luckily I found the reason in the 'fine
print'.  The Official Registers are dated BUT they are a compiliation
of info provided by the RR's & Private Car Owners listed therein.
I.E. they are only as accurate as the info submitted to them. You will
note that at the beginning or end of a particular RR or Industry's
listing is the actual date of their roster info.  It will usually be
very close to the date of the Register but in some cases can be months
or even yrs out of date, especially true of small RR's & industries
but sometimes for Class I's (the same is true for the Official
Passenger Equipment Registers).  So always ck the date the info was
submitted as the date to be used when citing when equipment was or was
not on the roster.  Gerald