[CBQ] Re:Newspapers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Newspapers
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 18:23:14 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo, et al:

Details, details.... The simple answer is that newspapers could be
shipped as baggage, mail, or express. How is that for being general? 8-)

Without actually reading the enabling contract, I cannot be certain.
However, using what may be considered seasoned judgment, I strongly
suspect that newspapers distributed by trainmen on dinkies were
handled under the baggage tariffs.  I suspect that trainmen would
recall, or records would exist showing if arbitrariness were paid for
handling express. I strongly doubt that by the late sixties, REA was
shipping on suburban trains. That era ended in the fifties and one
agent's experience at the Berwyn REA office is discussed in the
forthcoming book.

While those of us on the outside were not privy to the details, my
research has taught me that this side of the business was very
organized. A loading diagram was issued for each head end car. Each
party (railroad, REA, POD) created their diagram and  coordinated
with one another in the case of shared cars. A solid car was loaded
under REA or POD/RR instructions. That said, I suspect, which is
dangerous and can only do that because I have no documentation, that
the trainmen had some type of distribution list.  We are talking the
formal, contracted newspaper service here, not the less organized and
highly informal rituals performed as custom.

As time permits, I will do a little digging to learn how the papers
were handled at the depot.

I seem to recall newspaper delivery trucks in the cab turnarounds,
but they may have been at CUS to deliver to the shops and stands.
Given the time sensitivity, I doubt if the papers were loaded at 14th
Street. However, I would love to be corrected.....

FYI, the book is at the printer. I believe that we will be shipping
in July.

Certain dinky schedules were a subset of the Chicago & Omaha Closed
Pouch route into the post-merger (1970 BN) era. Effective January 18,
1970, yes that was CB&Q, but the service continued through the
merger, train 201 handled closed pouches five days per week - daily
except Saturday and Sunday. Pouches were handled to Brookfield, La
Grange, Western Springs, Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Downers Grove,
Naperville, and Aurora. No eastward suburban CP route is shown. The
mail handled on 201 was likely first class that missed earlier truck
delivery.

Best regards,

Ed DeRouin