[CBQ] Re: Burlington Observation cars 700 & 701

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Burlington Observation cars 700 & 701
From: "Michael Victor" <michaelvictorg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 16:53:55 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,
Thank you. The information that the cars were coaches before
being "observation cars" would seem to imply that the cars were
either rebuilt to roofless open air "observation" cars or an
observation platform was constructed at one end of the coach.  Both
types of conversions were taking place in the early 1900's on
Colorado railroads. If the original 2 coaches were built around 1891
then they may have been constructed with narrow vestibules or may
have been built without any vestibules at all, which would seem the
more probable scenario. I concur it is unusual for cars that were
only 17 years old to disappear, yet if they were "observation" cars
one would think they would be traceable after 1908 if they remained
on the Q's roster so perhaps the cars were older than 17 years
and /or they must have been useless or unstisfactory as "observation"
cars for one reason or another.
Thanks againm your information has been enlightening.
Michael Grenstedt
St. Louis, MO