Re: [CBQ] "Slag" ballast, (cont'd)

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>, <LayoutConstruction@yahoogroups.com>, <MILWmodelers@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] "Slag" ballast, (cont'd)
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:40:21 -0600
Cc: "Koester, Tony" <nkpfan@nac.net>
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Denny-
Somebody who is a geologist or works in the steel industry can give a
authorative answer, but you are probably correct.
My impression that there was rust color in the slag ballast was most likely
what you attribute to the coating of brake shoe
dust (and maybe rust comming off the rails too) rather than any iron oxide in
the rock and may be more brown than red
anyway as you describe.  I am sure that the slag ballast didn't weather
uniformly but depended on the surrounding soils,
the traffic levels and commodities handled, curves, tangent track, etc...
It is good to know about the Smith & Sons ballast being available from Scenic
Express.  I've heard good things about their
line but have never seen it in any shop.  I like the Arizona stuff but it is
also difficult to source.
Thanks,
Charlie Vlk