RE: [CBQ] Greyback Color

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Greyback Color
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:07:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

This has been discussed several times on the CBQ list previously ? you might
want to read those posts on the Archives for the list to gain a perspective
on the various opinions.  Since color is such a subjective thing ? there are
several answers to your question ? all of which have credibility.  If you
read the historical posts, you will see that the interpretation of this
color and the various opinions can be very controversial.

The Imitation Aluminum the CB&Q painted their F-Units contained metallic
aluminum flakes that had a reflective quality that causes a change in the
shade of the color depending upon lighting conditions and angles of viewing.
When viewed in bright light, the light reflects off of the flakes and the
color appears to be much lighter than when the same unit is viewed in cloudy
or shady photos.  You can see this difference if you study the various
photos in the Morning Sun or Four Ways West color books.  My recommendation
is to paint your units the color that YOU feel is right.  However, if you
want to keep things simple, ModelFlex produces a water-based paint color
(16-193 CB&Q Imitation Aluminum) that is based upon actual DuPont paint
chips and has been scaled for a nice match for models.  I had painted all of
my F-units to match Stewart Hobbies F-units, but after having them a while,
they appear too dark for my tastes and I?m planning on stripping all of them
and painting them with the ModelFlex color.

Dave Lotz
Pooler, GA