[CBQ] FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 2006 St. Louis RPM Meet

To: ACL-SAL-SCLmodeler@yahoogroups.com, AHTuten@aol.com, AlanivaJ@tacom.army.mil, allen@ascc.artsci.wustl.edu, andy@gp30.com, andy_r@intelegence.com, aquapro@hamiltoncom.net, asperandeo@mrmag.com, bathurst@litchfieldil.com, BBROWN@missouri.anglican.org, benjamin.hom@navy.mil, bgeep40@juno.com, bhipubs@charter.net, bills@rrmodelcraftsman.com, blindog@mindspring.com, BNJohn@sbcglobal.net, bobflores99@yahoo.com, Brian.T.McQuitty@nga.mil, brian@net.bluemoon.net, brianchapman@mchsi.com, brockm@brevard.net, c.guenther@comcast.net, cap42b@yahoo.com, CBQ@yahoogroups.com, CENTGA@aol.com, cepropst@netconx.net, charles.dean@insightbb.com, chris_thies@hotmail.com, CofGmodeler@yahoogroups.com, CRIP-RR@yahoogroups.com, d.harding@mchsi.com, DANNYCOFG@aol.com, dave_lotz@charter.net, davescharnhorst@hotmail.com, davisjctfrn@juno.com, dblake7@columbus.rr.com, Dbohannon2@aol.com, dcdewi@aol.com, dcdewitt@charter.net, denlippert@comcast.net, detwest@aol.com, dieselsurgeon@yahoo.com, dphobbies@earthlink.net, dregan@accessus.net, dstorzek@elnet.com, edietrich@peoplepc.com, emd710@yahoo.com, emfour@gte.net, FlynnD1@aol.com, fmullins@cox.net, foghat95@swbell.net, fred_1_huss@yahoo.com, frisco1306@yahoo.com, ghoover_1@charter.net, Golden1014@yahoo.com, greencaboose1@msn.com, GSemon@us.loreal.com, gsmre@yahoogroups.com, gspriggs@htc.net, Haagtk@aol.com, hawk0621@sbcglobal.net, hkraichely@sbcglobal.net, hmrc@att.net, illinois-central-model@yahoogroups.com, jamessix@bnin.net, JARDGR44@aol.com, jbreon@msn.com, jcfuller2000@yahoo.com, jhediger@mrmag.com, jkkuebler@yahoo.com, jliamarx@worldnet.att.net, jmikebudde@aol.com, jmischke@att.net, jobed@swbell.net, John.golden5@scott.af.mil, johnbnsf@msn.com, kc0esl@juno.com, kurtstroer@charter.net, Lawrence.Thomas@bcbsmo.com, Lemthunder@aol.com, loren.casey@sirsidynix.com, mail@kadee.com, matthew_e_chapman@yahoo.com, mdbutler63@sbcglobal.net, mec-bml@charter.net, mgarber819@comcast.net, mgruber@merr.com, Michael.Dudley@wpafb.af.mil, miker@mresys.com, mo-pac1@charter.net, mopac1@classicnet.net, mrgmag@msn.com, mslater@wi.rr.com, mstl@yahoogroups.com, mudd007@yahoo.com
Subject: [CBQ] FINAL ANNOUNCEMENT: 2006 St. Louis RPM Meet
From: John Golden <golden1014@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 21:04:41 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All,

The third annual ST. LOUIS RAILROAD PROTOTYPE
MODELER'S (RPM) MEET will be held next weekend at the
Gateway Convention Center in Collinsville, IL on
Friday, Aug 25th and Saturday, August 26th. Meet
Hours: 9 AM to 10 PM both days. The Gateway Convention
Center is conveniently located 12 miles east of metro
St. Louis on I-55/70. Address is One Gateway Drive,
Collinsville, IL 62234. The Center's website is
http://www.gatewaycenter.com/

What is an RPM meet? RPM--Railroad Prototype
Modelers--is simply a gathering of railroad modelers
and historians. The heart of our RPM meet is YOUR
MODELS. Bring your models, finished or unfinished, of
all  scales and gauges, for display. Bring
locomotives, rolling stock, structures and any other
models pertaining to prototype railroading for
presentation &
discussion.  There will be no contests or awards. Our
purpose is to share information, present your best
modeling techniques, and build friendships with your
fellow modelers and historians. Check out these
sites for an idea of what RPM meets are all about:

http://www.pbase.com/golden1014/2005_st_louis_rpm_meet,
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/coco06,
http://www.pbase.com/dh30973/wpm2005,
http://flickr.com/photos/mgarber/sets/72057594100562047/
and
http://www.pbase.com/ehyjek/2005_minnesota_prototype_modelers_meet

If you attended St. Louis in 2005, you saw well over
1100 quality models. This year, we're twice as
big--we've doubled our space to over 10,000 sq. ft.
with twice as many tables for your models and
displays. We have a smashing lineup of presentations
by some of the nation's top modelers and historians,
plus we'll feature 10 railroad historical societies
and 40 tables of elite vendors. An operating FreeMo
layout will be on display. We've got lots of door
prizes to give away too. See details below for more
information

You may find a copy of the latest flyer on the Rail
Yard Models site at
http://www.railyardmodels.com/images/STL_RPM_2006.doc
or at the Illinois Traction Society site at
http://www.illinoistractionsociety.org/ .

HOURS:

9:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M both days.  Admission: $15.00
Friday & Saturday, $10.00 Saturday only. RPM-ers under
13 free with paid adult admission. Vendor set-up at
7:15 AM Fri.  Sales end at 6:00 P.M. Saturday.

CLINICS:

Presentations will run from 10 AM to 7:30 PM or later
each day.  This year's ALL-NEW line-up includes:

1. Richard Hendrickson - Prototype Freight Car
Weathering & Vintage Dating

America's leading freight car historian in his first
appearance at St. Louis RPM. Richard will describe
prototype weathering patterns, plus offer detailed
tips and techniques on period-dating models
prototypically. Richard will also be available to
sign his new book by Speedwitch Media, Focus on
Freight Cars, Volume One: Single Sheathed Box &
Automobile  Cars.

2. John & Dan Kohlberg - St. Louis/ E. St. Louis Area
Railroads, c. 1970s

An overview of facilities, towers, and freight
operations through a decade of change. This
presentation starts at 6:30 PM on Friday night and
runs until the lights go out. Don't miss it!

3.  Ed Hawkins - Missouri Pacific "Signature" Box Cars

Nationally-recognized historian, author and Railroad
Prototype Cyclopedia publisher Ed Hawkins is back,
presenting MoPac's signature box cars, plus tips on
researching!

4.  Gene Fusco - Assembling Resin Models

Rail Yard Models owner and Rocky Mountain RPM Meet
host presents tips and techniques for building resin
models in HO scale.  Check out Gene's website at
http://www.railyardmodels.com/pages/830157/index.htm

5.  Stu Thayer - The Santa Fe Railway in New Mexico

MRN writer and nationally-recognized modeler will
present the mighty Santa Fe, c. 1980s/90s, including
trains, equipment, ops, geography and modeling
notes.

6.  Jim Mischke - B&O Doodlebug Operations

Jim Mischke's first St. Louis RPM appearance! Jim is
among the nation's top B&O historians, and will
discuss B&O motor cars and operations, c.1922-1953,
including operations in Illinois and Indiana. Plus,
Jim will offer a detailed "how-to" guide for prototype
researchers!

7.  Ted Culotta - Eccentricities of Freight Cars

Prolific writer, Speedwitch Models proprietor and
RMC's Essential Freight Cars author is back with a
fascinating look at steam and transition-era freight
cars. Check out Speedwitch at
http://www.speedwitch.com/ and don't miss his free,
on-line freight car library at
http://www.steamfreightcars.com/

8.  John Welther - Prototype Diesel Locomotive
Detailing and Weathering

St. Louis's model railroading icon presents diesel
detailing and weathering, from HO to G! Don't miss his
superb modeling and weathering.

9.  Clark Probst & Mike Moore - Prototype Modeling:
The M&StL in Mason City, IA

Explore operations, interchange and heavy industry in
one of Louie's busiest terminals, plus the challenges
of building an accurate, prototypical layout in HO.

10.  Mike Dudley - P&LE Gondolas of the 1960s

Acclaimed P&LE / NYC modeler demonstrates easy
kitbashing, detailing & finishing techniques in HO for
museum-quality models. Mike's models have been
featured in numerous magazines and RPM meets around
the country.

Backup: Dave Davis - Vintage Prototype Track &
post-1980 MofW Equipment

PRE-RPM MEET SOCIAL:

Unfortunately, we have not been able to secure an area
layout for the "Pre-RPM Meet Social/Ops Session". Our
usual layout is not available  and we have not been
able to find another suitable layout. Instead, we are
planning an informal dinner on Thursday evening at
Bandana's BBQ, #4 Commerce Drive, Collinsville, IL,
62234--just minutes from the Gateway Center. We'll
leave from the parking lot of the Fairfield Inn next
to the Gateway Center at Bandana's at 6:50 PM, or you
can just meet us at Bandana's at 7 PM. A map to the
site is located at
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addto

history=&searchtab=home&address=%234+Commerce+Dr&city=Collinsville&state
 =Il&zipcode=  Contact John Golden at
Golden1014@yahoo.com for details.

VENDORS:

41 tables of elite vendors will be in attendance to
support your prototype modeling and research,
including Bob's Photos, Rail Yard Models, Speedwitch,
Rails Unlimited, Modeler's Choice, Funaro &
Camerlengo, ICG Custom Decals, Proto:87 Stores, AMB,
Badger, Des Plaines Hobbies, John Fuller Photos, Joe
Collias Photos, JJL Models, Mike Gruber Photos, Red
Board Hobbies, and more.

RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETIES:

Railroad Historical Societies are your direct link to
realistic modeling, with books, maps, and prototype
info to aid your prototype study. We're proud to bring
you 21 tables from the TRRA, MoPac, Illinois Terminal,
Wabash, NKP, Soo, C&NW and the Central of
Georgia. Plus, we've got two new organizations---the
Penn Central, and the Litchfield & Madison.

DOOR PRIZES:

A large selection of new, high-quality door prizes
will be given out on Saturday afternoon between
clinics. Great stuff from Intermountain, Athearn,
Accurail, Bob's Photos, Badger, Alumilite, Bachmann,
Bowser, Walthers, Moloco, Details West, California
Roadbed Co., the MP Historical Society, Woodland
Scenics, Rib Side Cars, Central of Georgia HS,
Speedwitch Models, ICG Custom Decals, Proto 2000,
Sylvan Scale Models, and much, much more. You must be
present to win. Please thank our vendors, historical
societies and those who have donated door prizes by
spending freely!

FREEMO:

The Gateway Society of Model Railroad Engineers will
present an operating FreeMo layout.

DIRECTIONS TO THE GATEWAY CONVENTION CENTER:

The Gateway Center is located at One Gateway Drive,
Collinsville, IL, 62234. The Center's website is
http://www.gatewaycenter.com/

--- The Gateway Center is conveniently located 12
miles east of downtown St. Louis, MO near the
intersection of I-55/70 and Illinois 157. Traveling
North on Interstate 55/70, take Collinsville Exit 11.
At traffic light, turn left onto Highway 157/Bluff
Road to Eastport Plaza Drive, turn Left. Continue to
Gateway Drive, turn right. Gateway Center is located
on your left.
--- Traveling East on Interstate 40 or Interstate 44,
Take Interstate 55/70 North, to Collinsville Exit 11.
At traffic light, turn left onto Highway 157/Bluff
Road to Eastport Plaza Drive, turn Left. Continue to
Gateway Drive, turn right. Gateway Center is located
on your left.
--- Traveling East or West on Interstate 64, Take Exit
9 and drive North on Hwy 157, approximately 7 miles,
to Eastport Plaza Drive which is located off Hwy. 157.
Turn left on Eastport Plaza Drive, then right on
Gateway Drive. Gateway Center is located on left.
--- Traveling North or South on Interstate 255, take
Exit 26, Horseshoe Lake Road, Turn Left. Immediately
turn right onto Eastport Plaza Drive and then left
onto Gateway Drive. Gateway Center is located on
right.

HOTEL INFORMATION:

Super 8 (618) 345-8008 www.super8.com
<http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home

Fairfield Inn (618) 346-0607 www.Marriott.com
<http://marriott.com/default.mi

Best Western Pear Tree Inn (618) 345-9500
www.bestwestern.com <http://www.bestwestern.com/

Budget Inn & Suites (618) 344-7171

Comfort Inn (618) 346-4900 www.comfortinn.com
<http://www.comfortinn.com/

Drury Inn (618) 345-7700 www.druryinn.com
<http://www.druryhotels.com/index.cfm

Extended Stay Suites (618) 345-0800

Hampton Inn (618) 346-4400 www.Hampton.com
<http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/index.jhtml

Holiday Inn (618) 345-2800 www.hicollinsvile.com
<http://www.hicollinsville.com/

Howard Johnson's Express Inn (618) 345-1530
www.hojo.com
<http://www.hojo.com/HowardJohnson/control/home

Ramada Limited (618) 345-2000 www.ramada.com
<http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/home

MORE INFO:

Contact John Golden at Golden1014@yahoo.com, (618)
624-8033, or Dan Kohlberg at paducah@mindspring.com
for meet info.

NOT ENOUGH?

If this isn't enough, remember that St. Louis offers
some of the best railfanning in the US, and is also
the home of the spectacular National Museum of
Transportation
http://www.museumoftransport.org/index.htm and
the Barriger National Railroad Library
http://www.umsl.edu/barriger/.
And, if you want to break away and catch the Cardinals
while you're in town, you're in luck. They're at home
on RPM Weekend--vs. the Cubs!

See you in St. Louis!

John Golden
Dan Kohlberg