[CBQ] Branchline Passenger Cars Fixes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Branchline Passenger Cars Fixes
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:10:06 -0700
Bcc:
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have not built a lot of Branchline cars, only 2. I have 26 inch curves and
I found that the biggest problem was that the wheels would hit the center
sill and so I trimmed part of it off so that the trucks can swing without
hitting the sill or any other parts on the underside. As for the vertical
movement, I too noticed that this appeared to cause a problem. So on one
wheel set, I have the screw somewhat loose. The other truck is snug, this
way I don't have a "rocking" car. With these changes, I have very little
derailments when ever I do run the cars.

I am a firm believer that there are several things one MUST do to insure
smooth operation of your equipment:

1: All equipment MUST meet the NMRA weight standard, anything less will
cause problems.
2: Coupler height and clearances must meet Kadee standards - if using Kadee
couplers.
3: ALWAYS  and I mean ALWAYS use your NMRA guage to check the wheel specs. I
have found wheel sets that were both under and over spaced, which will cause
nothing but derailments! This includes top mfgr's so don't ASSUME just
because you spent $1400 for a brass 4-6-4 or a $60 on a Branchline car, that
the wheels are within spec.
4:Wheel sets must roll FREELY, anything else will cause a drag (making your
engine work harder) and on a long train WILL CAUSE derailments on curves and
switches.

I always test my completed car by letting it roll down my 3% grade. It must
roll freely and move into my curve without hesitation. That is how I was
able to find the problem with my Branchline passenger cars. Infact, one of
my new BWL CZ cars stopped half way down. On checking the wheel alignment, I
found that one of the wheel sets was either too wide or too narrow - don't
remember which way. After correcting this, it rolled as smooth as a baby's
butt.

I am sure that there are other things that one should do to insure a smooth
opertion of one's equipment - this is just my imput.

Good luck.

Ray Bedard
San Jose CA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM