Re: [CBQ] gangs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] gangs
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 18:34:10 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
With regards to track gangs, the CB&Q had two basic
kind of gangs; section gangs and extra gangs. Section
gangs i.e. "sections", handled routine track
maintenance and light construction. For bigger jobs of
short duration, two or more adjoining sections were
"bunched" or combined with the senior foreman in
charge. Extra gangs did the bigger maintenance and
construction projects of longer duration. Extra gangs
were likewise divided into two types. The first type
were the seasonal or temporary gangs. These gangs
would be "put on" for a large projects or a series
smaller projects. A senior section foreman would be
assigned and new men were hired. When the work was
complete, the gang would be "cut off" and the foreman
returned to his section. Please note, these gangs were
general purpose gangs. They might build a siding and
then spend the rest of the summer replacing ties. The
other kind of extra gangs were the more or less
permanent gangs. These were usually "system" gangs but
some were set up as division gangs. The first of these
gangs were the system steel gangs which layed rail.
Later, there were fence gangs, tie gangs, pressure
grouting gangs, surfacing gangs and etc.. Still later
the extra gangs were mechanized.

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM