Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2486
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
In the pre-unit train days, most but not all Q coal
trains were solid Q's. There were several ways foreign
cars would show up. First of course, were the cars
that the Q had received as a loads(bear in mind,
hoppers and gons could loaded with other things beside
coal). These cars, per car service rules had to "be
sent to a point on the home road or in the direction
of the home road if there was no direct connection".
Then, there were cars that were loaded with fuel for
roads that had no on-line coal mines. There were also
times when a coal company would steal (or "borrow")
cars if they didn't have enough Q MT's. They would
load whatever they had with coal for Q destinations.
Also there could be cars received in interchange.
Again keep in mind that the Q hauled a lot of coal
from mines that it had no direct connection. For mine
runs you could find cars that the Q was handling in
"car haul service". In short in Southern Illinois, you
would see a lot of IC's, MOP's and C&EI's with a few
NYC's and Southern's thrown in, every once in a while.
In Central Illinois, there would M&St.L's and Milw's
too. As to types of cars, refer to BB #35. I hope this
answers your question.
John D. Mitchell, Jr.

--- clipperw@EarthLink.net wrote:

> Paul,
>
> I, too, am interested in building a coal train
> typical of a Q train in
> central/southern Illinois. My impression is that the
> vast majority of
> the cars were Q owned, but varies in type with lots
> of gondolas as
> compared to today's modern unit trains. I suspect
> when the coal fields
> were really active in the first half of the 20th
> century, that an
> occasional car from another RR may have shown up. I
> have theorized that
> the most likely ones would be from the other RRs
> that operated in the
> same area, such as IC, Wabash, GM&N (or GM&O if
> after 1949), etc.
> However, we must keep in mind that customer and
> routing may have
> precluded the use of other RR's equipment in given
> RR's trains.
> Individual loads in a coal train went to specific
> customers that may
> generally have been "on line". Perhaps John
> Mitchell, who is the real
> expert on this portion of the Q operation, can give
> us some insight as
> to what foreign cars could have appeared in a Q coal
> train. I want to
> build a coal train to put behind my M-4 2-10-4 and I
> would like it to
> be generally correct as to road names and types of
> cars.
>
> Bill Barber
>
> On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 06:08  AM,
> CBQ@yahoogroups.com wrote:
>
> >  Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:16:21 -0500
> >    From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
> > Subject: Re: Roadnames In A 'Q Coal Train
> >
> > Thanks, Rob, and all who've responded to my
> question thusfar.
> > Unfortunately, I haven't received much info on
> what road's hoppers
> > might appear in the coal train, beyond IC cars.
> My version of the
> > mine ownership will be a jointly owned operation
> by the 'Q and the IC,
> > similar to what I recall reading in the Society's
> book on the
> > Southern Illinois Coalfields.  So there will
> DEFINITELY be IC hoppers
> > at the mine . . . and some gon's, too.
> >
> > However, I was hoping some of you who have consist
> info on some of
> > these coal runs in the area of Illinois
> "somewhere" in the area
> > between Chicago and Galesburg, could check and
> share what other road's
> > cars one might find in the train.  That's what I
> was hoping for.  How
> > about it?
> >
> > Thanks, again!
> > --
> > "Paul (Kossart) - The CB&Q Guy"
> >  Peru, IL *USA*
> > (Modeling 1960's in HO.)
> > At 05:13 AM 8/3/2005, you wrote:

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h5ps4ug/M=362343.6886682.7839641.1493532/D=groups/S=1706043004:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123285879/A=2894350/R=0/SIG=10tj5mr8v/*http://www.globalgiving.com";>Make
 a difference. Find and fund world-changing projects at GlobalGiving</a>.</font>