Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2468

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2468
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:04:04 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Jan,

I agree that some models that have been released in recent years have
inaccuracies. Case in point is the Sunset/#rd Rail O scale model of O-5
#5614. It includes several errors, not the least of which is the tender
that belongs to the later all weather cab O-5s. However, years ago,
many manufacturers frequently released models that were also inaccurate
because they knew it would sell if it just carried a specific road
name. So, you might see or be able to purchase a car that had a
Pennsylvania or CB&Q road name on a car that wasn't owned or operated
by that RR. Certain road names sold no matter what, so the manufacturer
would offer cars or locomotives that way. Right now there is a Santa Fe
HO 4-8-4 available lettered for CB&Q. think IHM offers it. Is it
correct? No, but obviously some people purchase them and may even think
the model is correct.

Another problem that occurs is the simple passage of time and certainly
a RR that has been gone for over 35 years becomes affected. Fewer and
fewer people remember the Q exactly as it was. Fortunately, there are
many photos available pieces of RR equipment, but not everything. Even
people's memories fade. As we get older, we realize that facts and
details of historic events that we experienced in younger years get
changed by people who weren't even born at the time. I believe, to some
extent, the same occurs in the modeling business. Those that are very
diligent produce better models, those that don't take that time (which
cost money) may take short cuts to complete a project.

While I agree with you, that it would be nice to time one's purchases
based on our own budgets, the manufacturers probably don't have the
luxury of waiting for each of us to get around to buying. In my case, I
kind of prioritize. The most expensive thing that I purchase is
locomotives. If they are good Q prototypes or some other model that
fits the scope of my RR, I put its purchase at the top of the list
ahead of other purchases. I know some that buy just because it is there
with no justification or purpose, but I am not even interested in doing
that. The same is true with cars, but because they are generally lower
price, I can more easily purchase them on short notice. One has to make
choices in purchasing anything, whether it is a camera, computer,
refrigerator or an automobile. The item available today, may not or
won't be available, at least in its present form, six months from now.

One way to reduce the problem is to limit the time period that you
model. I would like to have the Atlas Q GP35, but it doesn't fit my era
of 1940. I would like to have an E-5 A & B, but not at the price the
current retail price. On the other hand, if someone announced a Q O-1a
in O scale, I would probably buy it at any price. Altas is constantly
issuing freight cars with different road names. I should buy a number
of them, but only buy those that I am really interested in because of
budget. With cars and buildings, I do have alternatives like repainting
aor building from scratch. While a particular freight car might not be
available in a road name that I want, the basic model may be available
and can be repainted in the road name that I want.

I don't blame the manufacturers. The business world is crazy today. It
just blows me away that a company like Atlas can buy the Inter-Mountain
O scale car kit line, ship the product to China, get it assembled and
packaged, ship it back to the U.S. and distribute it for $5 - $10 more
than it cost as a kit.  I am happy that they can, but I don't
understand  the economics. I just satisfied that most of what is being
brought out are fine models.

Bill Barber