Re: [CBQ] Re: Purington Pavers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Purington Pavers
From: Bob Webber <zephyr1@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:24:48 -0600
Did you see on one of the links the number of bricks used for the defence
plant in Indiana? 22 million?!?  In 146 days.  They indicate 7-8 cars per
night were filled and sent.  Now, let's see.  That's a total of about 1168
cars.  That's about 18,836 bricks per car.  Which is about 169,520 pounds
or roughly 84 tons per car.   It seems like 22 million bricks would take a
heck of a lot more cars than that!   Of course, you would also have the
wood, glass, metal, piping, electrical, mortar, cement, etc. to build it,
but when you break it down, it some how loses the hugeness of the original
number.

But then.. one has to ask, based on your note - why Purlington for a plant
in Southern Indiana - surely there were plants closer to the building
site.  And, why brick?  Yes it was a munitions works, but seems like a lot
of travel in the days of "is this trip necessary".

I remember reading an article while living in Texas about the used brick
industry in the Chicago area where buildings were being bought solely for
the bricks , being torn down, sent by barge (?!) down to the South for use
in homes for that "old brick" feel.  Have to wonder how many have
Purlingtons in them!

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM