Re: [CBQ] Looking for thoughts on Railroad careers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Looking for thoughts on Railroad careers
From: Gordon Smith <kc2bw@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:15:19 -0500
I've got 34 yrs. as an engineer, and I can tell you that you won't have a
life of your own anymore. Railroading is a military type atmosphere. You
sound like you may be older so the change in lifestyle may not agree. The
spare boards and the road for years take their toll on both you and your
family while working around the clock. I spent 20 years on spare boards and
the road. The pay is pretty good but not as good as it should be for what
you give up and have to go thru and the responsabilities you have. And of
course there are the dangers of the job as has been publicised by recent
accidents. Pay was better years ago before we gave up a lot. Most companys
have decent benefits. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a nice quiet job
in a bank like my dad!

Gordon