[CBQ] What was an ?accommodation? train?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] What was an ?accommodation? train?
From: "michaelvictorg" <michaelvictorg@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:51:32 -0000

What was an "accommodation" train?

I know that the term does not refer to the accommodations provided by
a passenger train such as coach seats, roomettes or drawing rooms,
but more to its schedule, speed and priority.

Is there a universal definition of an "accommodation" train, or does
it vary by individual railroad?

On page 71 of The American Railroad by Joe Welsh, he describes
an "accommodation train" as an all-stop local.
Welsh ranks passenger trains from highest to lowest priority as:
"Luxury train"
"General service train"
"Accommodation train"

On page 13 of Steam Steel & Limiteds by William Kratville, he
describes an "accommodation train" as a class of train between the
limited-stop express and the all-stop local. The class of train
called a "general service train" by Joe Welsh.
Kratville ranks passenger trains from highest to lowest priority as:
"Express train"
"Accommodation train"
"Local train"

I have also read about passenger trains running on an "accommodation"
schedule.

Is there a difference between an "accommodation" schedule and an
actual "accommodation" train?

Can anyone please enlighten me on exactly what an "accommodation"
train was?

Was the Burlington's first Zephyr running between Kansas City and
Lincoln considered an "accommodation" train?

Thank you,

Michael

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM