[CBQ] e: CB&Q ETT's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] e: CB&Q ETT's
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 01:00:13 -0000

The Q, as most major RR's did, put a large # on the cover in
addition to the effective date to indicate, sequentially, which
issue the ETT was.  They also alternated with a red & green #.
Unlike public TT's which are also dated but not numbered, safety of
the employees was/is paramount.  Have an outdated public TT, not a
big deal (just miss catching a train at worst); have an outdated
ETT - possible derailment or at least a train delay.
Periodically the ETTs would start over at #1 again, usually caused
by a merger of Divisions. New numbers/issues came out every time a
schedule changed (usually due to passenger trains).  There were also
Special Inst's with more detailed info. I am not at home so don't
have any of my ETTs in front of me but you would want a Chicago-
Aurora Div ETT or possibly a LaCrosse (later the 2 combined into 1)
depending on which direction you wanted to follow the trains (back
to Chicago or up to Twin Cities).  Chi-Aur issues are common and
1960's can be purchased at a very reasonable price.  Come to BRHS
spring meet in Moline & find several I'm sure.  There was also a
compendium of nearly all Q ETT's ever issued published by J-B Pub.
of Crete, NE yrs ago but out-of-print. Invaluable if you are trying
to collect quite a few OR if you want to have all possible issues
(Divisions) for any one point in time.  In the 60's six or seven
ETTS would give you the entire system; back in the 40's it was about
20 as I recall (again, I'm not home and my usual ETT interest is
focused on the LaCrosse issues). Hard ones to find are less traveled
divisions like Sheridan or ones consolidated way back in the 40's
(Centerville & Omaha).  There were also a few "Joint" ETTS: Milw-Q,
Wab-Q, C&S-Q.  And of course the unique issues were the BN ones
printed in "68 in anticipation of the merger which was halted by the
courts at the last minute. "Real" BN ETTS did not become offical of
course til spring of "70.  Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM