[CBQ] Re: CZ Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ Cars
From: "nycbqfan" <jsauer@estee.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:40:10 -0000
Loren,

Thanks very much for your information.

By the way, I just picked up the Broadway Limited CB&Q E7.  The
sound is a real hoot.  I have the E7 on a piece of test track in the
kitchen at the moment with a power pack hooked up to track and
letting the engine just idle.  It's a riot.

John

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Aeolus3@a... wrote:
> I've always been told the CZ train sets would remain in consist.
For example
> all the Burlington owned would be in a Burlington train set. Here
is the
> breakdown of CZ equipment sets, 3 for the Burlington, 2 for the
Western Pacific,
> and 1 for the Rio Grande with 1 10-6 Pullman Budd built owned by
the
> Pennsylvania, Silver Rapids. This arrangement probably lasted as
long as it took the PR
> 8x10 glossy photos to dry.
>
> But in looking in Car Names Numbers and Consists, the break down
of the CZ
> Pool Equipment doesn't work out that each railroad owned complete
matched sets
> of equipment.
> 1949 Consists -
> It took six train sets to make the daily operation of the CZ.
> It works for the Baggage, Buffet Dome Dorm, Diner, and Observation
Dome
> Lounge. 3 Q, 2 WP, 1 D&RGW.
>  Dome Coaches, 7 Q, 7 WP, 4 D&RGW. 18 total 3 assigned each set
> 16 Section Pullman, each railroad owned 2. 6 total 1 assigned each
set
> 10-6 Pullmans 6 Q, 7 WP, 5 D&RGW, 1 PRR 19 total 3 assigned each
set with 1
> extra? Or in the case of Silver Rapids in a consist, since the NYC-
SF 10-6 was
> a daily operation, then one odd non CZ 10-6 running in 5 train
sets?

> From this break down it would be impossible to have 6 trainsets
all matched,
> 3 Q, 2 WP, 1 D&RGW.
>
> Of course in 1952 the 6-5 Pullmans were added to the CZ Consist, 3
Q, 2 WP,
> and 1 D&RGW.
> Also in 1952 the Burlington added 2 10-6 Pullmans, Silver Crag and
Silver
> Chasm
> Crag and Chasm differed from the other CZ 10-6 Pullmans as they
lacked the
> extra isle windows on the bedroom side of the car. Thus in the
Burlington and CZ
> fleet of 10-6 Pullmans there were three configurations.
> 1 16 Section Pullman Silver Cedar
> 1 Observation Silver Lookout
> Silver Cedar and Silver Lookout were built matched to the 1949
cars.

> I don't know if BLI is planning on producing the 1952 10-6
Pullmans if so the
> Burlington ordered from Budd six additional 10-6 Pullmans for the
American
> Royal Zephyr and the Blackhawk.
>
> Budd built a total of 77 Stainless Steel Cars for the CZ Pool of
equipment
> 6   Baggage Cars
> 18  Dome Coaches (All built to the same plan)
> 6   Dome Buffet Lounge Dorms
> 6   Diners
> 7   16 Section Pullmans (in the 1960's rebuilt to 48 seat chair
cars with no
>      external changes)
> 21  10-6 Pullmans (Silver Rapids {PRR} left the CZ Pool in 1958)
> 6   6-5 Pullmans
> 7   Dome Buffet 3 DB 1 Drawing Room Observations
>
> I hope this helps with ordering your Broadway California Zephyrs.
One thing
> to remember on the Dome Coaches although they were all built to
the same plan
> six of the dome coaches early on had a "woman and children"
arrangement. #811
> Silver Dollar #812 Silver Feather (WP); #1105 Silver Bronco
(D&RGW);#4716
> Silver Bridle, #4717 Silver Lodge, #4718 Silver Lariat (CB&Q).
This was an interior

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511