[BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Steam Engine Lettering

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: CB&Q Steam Engine Lettering
From: "captmix" <tamix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:36:30 -0000
Barry,

BRHS put out an article and drawings of the Burlington's change of
loco lettering dated April, 1927.

These drawings show the Burlington Route herald on tenders for the
first time. The article indicates that the herald changed somewhat
over the years. The Champion decals I have for CB&Q engines have a
wide red band around the herald but photos from the 1930's does not
show this band. Might have been a narrow red band but can't tell
from the black and white photos. That wide red band was adopted in
1940 according to the article.

Lettering and numerals were "gold" color. I have a number of photos
from the teens and 20's that show 'CB&Q' on tenders, numbers on cab
sides. And...some photos with large numbers on tender sides and CB&Q
on cabs. Just the opposite. (?)

The 1927 plan shows the word "Lignite" on the rear of the coal
bunker and I have seen a couple of photos with it this way but most
photos shows lignite burning engines with a yellow square in that
position rather than the word.

I can scan and send that article. Not sure if it is still available
from BRHS.

Tom Mix

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: