Re: [BRHSlist] Information Wanted on 1948 Abraham Lincoln Friendship Tra

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Information Wanted on 1948 Abraham Lincoln Friendship Train
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:39:07 -0800 (PST)
Robert
The "Friendship Train" was a project to drum up
support for sending food to the starving peoples of
Europe after WW II. I have some info on it, but I
can't locate it just now. As I remember, each state
was supposed to send a boxcar of food products from
that state (48 cars), to be exported to Europe. The
railroads provided the cars (not all were "dolled up"
like the "Q" car) and provided free tranportation. The
AAR was involved.  The train started on the west coast
and picked up cars, until it got on the east coast. I
think, it was sucessful and more than one train ran
later.
John

http://photos.yahoo.com/

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511