Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel loco "steam generators"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel loco "steam generators"
From: "zephyr9903" <zephyr9903@iowatelecom.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 15:58:05 -0600
On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:29:53 -0000, wollffee wrote
> Were these steam generators only for heating passenger trains?  Did
> any of the passenger cars have electric generators that were run by
> steam?  Did the air conditioning compressors on any of the cars run
> by steam?  I see that Burlington Route GP-7 locos had steam
> generators.  This was for passenger use, correct?  They never used
> the steam for anything when pulling a freight train did they?
ephyrs, you'll find that every one was a steam boiler squirreled away
somewhere for steam heat.

Pre-heavyweight equipment settled on axle-powered generators and bulky
battery boxes once electrical lighting replaced gas, but that was never used
for resistance-heating of the passenger spaces . . . it *did* get diverted
for Carrier-style mechanical air conditioning, however -

*Our Railroad* was actually one of the pioneers of the current system
of "Head-end power" (or HEP) . . . the second Twin Zephyrs and the original
Denvers had auxilliary electrical generators imbedded in the baggage cars to
supply the relatively high electrical demands (but still carried steam
boilers) . . .  which led to the highly unusual "Silver Treasure" baggage
car.  It was built solely to allow the older shovelnoses (9905-9908) to pull
conventional trains eithout the heating boiler (which was located in the
original carsets (Silver Treasure was equipped with a steam boiler).

The GP-7s were equipped with steam boilers (as were several CB&Q F units) to
permit use on passenger trains with conventional steam heat.

One will note that the Q's many "mixed train" passenger cars were equipped
with stoves, since there was no way to pipe steam heat through the freight
cars toi the end of the train - which is the answer to your question about
whether their was any use for engine steam on a freight  train.

Locomotive-mounted steam boilers were always an independent system, which had
to be started up separately when needed - it was a "stand-by" accessory, put
on line only when needed.

For those of you who already knew all this, I apologize for sucking up
bandwith, but there really aren't any simple answers for things that were
done 50 years ago <grin>

Marshall Thayer

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511