Re: [BRHSlist] Bridges

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Bridges
From: Q5632west@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:48:28 EDT
In a message dated 9/8/03 9:37:38pm, sdoyle19@idt.net writes:

>Can anyone remember if the Q mainline or branchlines ever crossed any stone
>arch bridges in Illinois, and if so, can you point me to any pictures?

Greetings:

I have a photo postcard canceled in 1909 showing a single-span stone arch
holding up the mainline over Pine Creek on the Twin Cities line.  This is in
Ogle
County, Illinois, on the fringe of White Pines State Park near Stratford mp
107.43.  Spans about 40 feet and appears to be anchored in a rock cliff on one
end and abutment and fill on the other.  Presumably this structure dates from
construction of the Chicago, Burlington & Northern.  No idea if it's still
there.

Happy to scan it for you, but note it's a handcolored lithograph so lacks the
detail of the real-photo black-and-whites of the era.

Regards,

Bill Diven

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/8ZCslB/TM