Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight

To: cbq682@grics.net, BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Way Freight
From: Q5632west@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:24:39 EDT
In a message dated 8/20/03 7:01:06 am, cbq682@grics.net writes:

>"CB&Q in Color #4" ... on page 71 there is an awesome
>photograph of a GP-7 crossing the Rock River.  Along the left of the tracks
>are three pipes that lead out on to the bridge and follow the tracks.
>What are these pipes for?

Greetings all:

protecting the CNW crossing.  Can somebody cite chapter and verse on this?  The
CNW (now UP) diamond at Rochelle is 13 miles away, and I've never heard of
interlocking at Oregon, the station a half mile or so west of the bridge.  Did
someone in Rochelle or Aurora have control over mainline switches in Oregon in
lever days?  Admittedly my knowledge of signalling through here is skimpy other
than it being mostly automatic-block territory with CTC through Rochelle by
1941.  Pipes left over from ABS?

At one time there was at least one lever at Oregon to operate the train-order
semaphores across the main from the station.  For a westbound, these signals
on the fireman's side would appear quickly as the engine came off the west
Rock River bridge and curved into town.  Could the station have controlled an
approach signal on the island between the bridges or east of the east bridge
that
would account for these pipes?

Regards,

Bill Diven