Re: Mark Twain Zephyr For Sale -- Inquiry

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Mark Twain Zephyr For Sale -- Inquiry
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 16:53:52 -0000
I read some where that back in the early 1960s, the Sithsonian
Institution in Washington, DC was very interested in adding the
Pioneer Zephyr to their collection, but the CB&Q chose the Chicago
Museum of Science & Industry to keep it local. I also read that the
Q donated the original diesel engine from the PZ to the Smithsonian
when the original engine was replaced with an upgraded diesel engine.

Does anyone know if the Smithsonian might still (after all of these
years) be intersted in a shovelnosed Zephyr in the form of the MTZ ?
The Smithsonian would probably have the long-term resources to
restore the MTZ at least to static display.

Hopefully some museum or group will restore or at least preserve what
is left.

Bill H.

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "Rail Merchants International"
<caboose@k...> wrote:
> Guys, we have the Mark Twain Zephyr for sale. It's great hearing so
much discussion on trying to restore and operate it again. The good
folks at the Claremont and Concord Railroad in New Hampshire plus the
state of New Hampshire are currently doing a great job rebuilding the
MTZ's cousin, the Flying Yankee ( www.flyingyankee.com ). The train
is about two thirds complete and the group would appreciate any
donations the Society or members might make.If you are in New England
please stop by and view first hand their fine craftsmanship .
Regarding the MTZ, we continue to work to save this important piece
of transportation history.We are currently working with the owners to
move the trainset to a secure yet accessible venue ( under
consideration is our Rail Yard Shops complex under development at
the former CRI&P freight yard near the CB&Q Chicago- Denver mainline
in Fairfield, Iowa ). The cost of moving the equipment is not cheap
as the folks at IRM have indicated. We will keep the group posted. We
can be contacted either here or for detailed discussions you may call
me at 641-472-2020 . We are betting if a real effort is made to
restore this trainset some of the walk-a-way items may reappear.
Regards, David J. Thebodo Rail Merchants International
www.railmerchants.net

Twain Zephyr
> in society hands, aah, thats a wonderful thaught.
>
> I dont think that there could be something still "alive" in
present days
> thats easier to restore and to maintain than the zephyr. Of
course, in
> reality "easy" is "VERY hard" but compare the project with
restoring and
> operating a steam locomotive. I am curious about other folks
opinions.

> Cheers, Florian
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.