Re: [BRHSlist] Covered Bridges, et al

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Covered Bridges, et al
From: "Ralph W. Brown, Jr." <cbq682@g...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 18:53:28 -0600
I began looking on the internet. According to a site linked to the Southern
Illinois University, at one point in time (it did not give a time period) there
were over 100 covered bridges in Henderson County, IL. On another site, the
USDOT Federal Highway Administration, it lists under the National Historic
Covered Bridge Preservation Program FY 2001 Allocation Plan the name "Oquawka
Wagon Covered Bridge in Henderson County, IL". So I am not sure if this bridge
was ever used for railroad lines or not. If the above statement concerning the
amount of covered bridges in Henderson County is true, then I would assume that
it is highly possible that there was a covered railroad bridge or bridges in
Henderson County. I am quite young, however, was there really such a thing as a
covered railroad bridge?

R.W. Brown, Jr.
Galesburg, IL

It isn't railroad or actually still in use but there is still a covered
bridge west of Galesburg in Henderson county. It is in a small park
north of Gladstone. For info go to:
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhquery.html
and search "eames bridge"

Ken Martin