re: early 40's #43 menu

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: re: early 40's #43 menu
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:58:08 -0600
Bcc:

Have a number of menus from that time frame inc. #43, Cody Inn, "Buffalo Bill", "Yellowstone Comet", etc but nothing out of the ordinary shown for chicken unless your memory may be of the chicken pot pie which could be ordered as a dinner or ala carte. Whitefish, either baked or broiled was on the menu (broiled in a sauce?) in the event your memory (or stomach) are playing tricks on you! There's also fried milk-fed chicken, country style. (In earlier years it was "Maryland" style = whatever that is, I'm a beef person!) Speaking of Q menus - a number of RR's had special "dishes" with a unique name to them (I only know that due to my wife's menu collection & of course experiencing NP Great Big Baked Potatoes coming home from the Seattle's World Fair) but such items are virtually non-existent in Q menus (& I have quite a few from 1890s to BN). They did have their special 1000 Island Dressing (recipe shown on 2 postcards) but only occaisionally highlighted as such in train menus from late 20's to late 30's.
Gerald