Re: Q covered bridges

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Q covered bridges
From: "Virginia Edgar" <vje68@h...>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:29:43 -0600
Bcc:

Corbin's "Burington in Transition" has photo of one on p. 18: Zearng branch crossing Vermillion River 1/2 mi. W of Streator - replaced in 30's. I discussed covered bridges with Bernie one time and got a print of another such Q bridge from him - either on the line from Woodhull to New Boston (IL) or an Iowa branch (Not ex-H&S as would then have been in his 3rd book which it isn't) - will have to dig around. There is also an o/p book on midwest covered bridges that has pic of such a bridge on the Q but title/author/publ. escapes me. Believe I mentioned it in one of my original BB's back in the late 70's. Gerald

PS - if an experimental Q 4-8-6 once existed, I'm very surprised it was not noted in either "Steam Locos" or "...Transition". I also wonder if rail wt was a factor, why not just use 2-8-2's?