Manchester CB&Q Ballast

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Manchester CB&Q Ballast
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:36:42 -0600
ATTN: Dave L. & List,

I have some questions on the excellent Manchester CB&Q, HO Ballast sold by Q-Connection. I could/should ask them directly but in case they don't know, was figuring those of you on the list who have used the product already on your layouts could answer. So here is my main question:

"How far in feet does one bag of this stuff cover?"

The reason I need to know is so that I can figure how many bags to buy (I'm ASSuming they will be for sale at the Spring Meet in Mendota soon).

Some additional questions . . .

"Do those who have used this product recommend the HO or the N size as looking the best on an HO layout?"

My layout will feature the double-track main in rural Illinois "somewhere" between Chicago area and Galesburg in the late 1960's. This mainline will run around the walls of the basement, to and from staging. BUT . . the center of the basement area will feature a meandering, fictional branch serving small, rural towns and ending at a coal mine. My question concerning this, therefore, is . . .

"Is/Can/Was the same ballast (be) used on a branch as on the main, and if not what was?"

I suspect not, but need to know as this will obviously affect the amount of the Manchester Ballast I need to purchase.

Thanks, all for your help on this.

Paul Kossart - (The CB&Q Guy)
"Everywhere West"