Re: [BRHSlist] Prague, was Re: Lines west depots

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Prague, was Re: Lines west depots
From: drale99@a...
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:23:40 EST
Randy,
My name is R. Dale Reeves. I rearranged it slightly to D. Rale Reeves for my
RR name, which I use to identify myself as General Superintendant of the NG
(Nebulus Gnarl), the RR in my basement. I scratch-built the Fairmont depot
from photos. Years back I used a Suydam(sp?) kit to build a two-story depot
which to me is the most typical of Lines West depots. I lived in two of them
with living quarters upstairs. I believe I could draw some fairly close
plans from memory. I would vote for the 2-story depots, painted red, trimmed
in black (or very dark green). None of these are still standing anywhere I
know of.
At a place called Inland between Harvard and Hastings, I lived in a
one-of-a-kind depot -- a one-story depot with living quarters. (I believe I
could draw that plan quite accurately from memory also.)
I made a tour around Nebraska last Sept. looking for whatever was left of the
old depots. All were gone except Fairmont. On the branch lines, nothing was
left, and it was difficult to tell where the RR had been. Talk about grim
reality. This was very depressing. Those towns have all become different
places. (Fact is, some of the towns have nearly disappeared). The RR used
to be the life-blood of some of those little towns.
Let's keep the memories warm. Dale