Re: Drover's Cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Drover's Cars
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@m...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:01:37 -0800
I believe that the Grange Acts of ?1911 codified the right of cattlemen/farmers to accompany their livestock to market. This was at a time when "markets" were highly centralized (Chicago, Omaha, Kansas City, Sioux City, St. Paul), and so livestock commonly faced many days' travel from farm to packing plant- during which time the animals faced dehydration, injury, etc.- all of which could seriously degrade what the animal would sell for on the other end. The Grange Acts forced the railroads to water the livestock at defined intervals, but it was up to the accompanying stockman or farmers to take care of bedding, feeding, downed animals, etc.

Most importantly (to the farmer), traveling with the livestock allowed him to be an advocate for his animals at the stockyard auction at the other end.

When I was younger, I was filled with tales by my father, uncles, and grandfathers (both) of accompanying cattle to market (Chicago) in cabooses with added bunks (their description) from their homes in NW Iowa. (They would do the same thing when they purchased cattle for feeding from ranches in western Nebraska and S. Dakota)

Although for the young people, this intitially could be "real adventure" (seeing the BIG city), but it also soon became old, and for the most part it was a thoroughly unpleasant and much dreaded experience. Noise, slack-in and slack-out, more noise, boredome, heat, cold, no food, dirty bunks, unfeeling crews, etc.

Comment was made that the crewmen felt that these people smelled and were "dirty". What an insult! The crews could do their 16 hours or 150 miles and go off to beans, bath and/or to a warm bed and hearth. The farmers were stuck on the train for 24-30 hours or more without bath, or any means of getting a meal. Meanwhile, they also had to muck out the stockcar(s) periodically when the animals were debarked for watering.

Because stockcars were always placed at the front end, if the train was long, the farmers could face multiple long walks (in this regard I have read where dedicated drover's cars were occasionally placed within the train adjacent to the stockcars).

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento, CA