Re: [BRHSlist] TCZ stops @ LaCrosse

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] TCZ stops @ LaCrosse
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:45:37 -0600
Hubert,

Steve is exactly right. The scheduling and operation of Amtrak long
haul trains is set up so that BNSF has the greatest possible chance
to collect all incentive payments. This is the ruler by which service
is measured. The Railroad is broken up into segments. All they need
to do is make a segment and they get the money.

For example #3 & #4 have a segment between La Junta and DeSoto.
One night last week #3 was a little over two hours late out of Newton.
La Junta was an on time arrival so the incentive is paid. The public,
in Hutchinson for example, have to wait almost two hours for a train but
BNSF can still catch the gold ring.

To further clarify the issue that time belongs to the Passenger Dept.
Sunday night #4 left LaJunta on time. That means they will clear
their warrant at Sears at 0037 or 0038 but are not due to arrive
Dodge City until 0055. That is NOT my time to work with. I had a
Lawrence/Tecumseh coal empty call me for a warrant at Dodge City
at about 2345. That train could go to Charleston and clear and
#4 could still make Dodge City on time but would show 15" at
Charleston for freight interference. I simply can not make that move
and the coal empty sat at Sears until #4 got on double track, 15"
early, of course.

BNSF does not have any attitude about passenger service but they
do have a very strong attitude about money.

Russ