Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills Sysyphus

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills Sysyphus
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:08:52 EST
Bill and List

RE: Sysyphus, hereinafter referred to as S.

My first encounter with S was when, as Manager Freight Claims for the Rock
Island I received a copy of a letter from RI's Attorney in Des Moines, Iowa
addressed to one of his counterparts in the RI General Office regarding some
information he was trying to obtain from someone in the Freight Claims
Department regarding some claim matter he had become involved in.

Our General Office attorney who handled Freight Claim matters...usually the
Junior Man on the T Pole sent the letter over to me...It stated something to
the effect that he, the Iowa Attorney, had been attempting for some time to
get some information from the claim department and had been unsuccessful thus
far..He stated that "obtaining information from the FC Department was greater
than the "task of S"...

AFter taking care of the matter I called our GO attorney and inquired about
"the task of S"...Our attorney who was a very learned young guy, who
delighted in tormenting me regarding my ignorance of the finer nuances (sp)
of the English Language and matters of Culture and Refinement, explained to
me "the task of S".....As in most cases the Iowa Attorney's opinion was
correct regarding the speed of our operation and his comment regarding S was
right on.

Our General Office attorney in one of his frequent taunts of me once replied
when I inquired of him regarding the appropriateness of "just going ahead and
paying a particular claim" since we appeared to be on the losing end of the
battle...His reply..."If you do you're just going to enhance your image as a
WASTERAL".(SP).. That was an image we Freight Claim folks constantly
battled.

Well, this has been "much ado about nothing"...but the Thread sparked a few
mental images which I just had to post for your edification.

Pete