Re: Sears & Walnut Grove, watch cases

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Sears & Walnut Grove, watch cases
From: LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:27:45 -0600

Virginia Edgar wrote:

As for Sears - oops! Meant to say Montgomery Ward. I should know better
as when I with C&NW I met the then C&NW agent @ Walnut Grove

What did you do for the CNW?

The CNW served my boyhood home and was my first railroad "love."

40+ years ago I spent college summers posing as a CNW brakeman and regularly rode through Walnut Grove MN. We tied up at Tracy, MN. Also recall riding through Revere, Lamberton, Sanborn, and then down the line via Comfrey, Darfur, Butterfield, Odin, etc.

The state of Iowa for example once
boasted there was no place within the state more than 6 miles from a track - now there are 2 or 3 COUNTYS without rail service!

There might be as many as eight. Some of the counties who have rail "service" have it in one corner of the county or along one edge only.

Also a point to be made that a good
RR watch was NEVER cheap - the least expensive Hamilton movement (no case!)
is listed @ $12.25. A LOT of money 88 years ago!!! Gerald

One purchased the movement, and then you purchased the case. I have a Hamilton 950 that has, as I recall, a Philadelphia "gold"
case.

Thanks for your comments.

LWA