Re: [BRHSlist] RE: American Royal Zephyr

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] RE: American Royal Zephyr
From: SilvrDome@a...
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:29:55 EST
Pete,

I'm looking forward to hearing your recollections with regards to the
"American Royal Zephyr" between St. Joe and Quincy.

Unlike the Chicago and Denver line (which we are lucky enough ride today),
the route of American Royal Zephyr is off limits to passenger train
enthusiast. Especially between Quincy and Brookfield and the missing link
west of Cameron Jct. to St. Joseph.

I was lucky enough to sit in a Barber chair in Kidder, MO (MP 163.2) circa
1962 for a haircut. As I received my new crewcut, a pair of Burlington
SD-7's or SD-9's hurried a westbound freight across the quiet panorama before
me, leaving an image I'll never forget.

I also remember the lighted windows from the passenger cars of the American
Royal Zephyr illuminating the summer night from my Uncle's farm house outside
of Cameron.

The rails and the train are gone now, and I look forward to your memories of
your trip in 1953.

Thanks.

Hubert Hanrahan