Re: [BRHSlist] Work Rules

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Work Rules
From: "Gregory Myers" <myers.gregory@w...>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 06:47:32 -0400
Another perspective - from someone who is (1) an "outsider" - whatever that
exactly means, (2) a modeler, (3) an amateur historian, (4) someone who has
negotiated something over 100 labor contracts in the past 25 years. Labor
contracts and work rules are a BORING read - they are a great cure for
insomnia. However, history is about people and the things that they did.
I've researched a little about labor relations on the Burlington and it
looks like interesting stuff. I think that stories about real people and how
they lived with (and found ways around) that boring stuff in the rule books
would give a great insite into the people who helped make the Burlington the
railroad that it was. Since the BRHS is a historical society, that would
seem to make it a logical and appropriate place for that material. It would
also give us modelers some flavor of the personalities that make it possible
for our "toy" (Burlington LINES EAST - there, got my plug in) trains to go
running down the rails. I say go for it Leo.

Greg Myers