RE: [BRHSlist] Re: #14006 Side Door Waycar (NE-1)

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Re: #14006 Side Door Waycar (NE-1)
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:21:00 -0600
Side door cars were both 30' and 28' cars.
The All-Nation Kit is best used for a 30' car as the windows are not the
smaller style used on the 28' three window cars. I worked with Bob Colson
and Hank Balinski (of NM2 MR article fame) during the development of the
patterns for the cupola, end platforms windows and trucks for the kit back
in my youth back into the mid-sixties.
The short-lived Model Transport magazine had a nice drawing of the 28' car
and a model built in O Scale by Don (?-I forget his last name, one of the
old All Nation Hobby Shop regulars). The sidedoor 30' cars are otherwise
standard four window 30' cars (all with the short side sheathing, I think,
just with a door cut in instead of one of the windows (in different places
on each car, it seems), so the All-Nation car is a good starting point.
The 28' cars IMHO are better looking cars with the smaller windows
rearranged and have less of a jury-built appearance, but Q ugly is
beautiful.....
Charlie