Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists
From: Aeolus3@a...
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 07:48:11 EST
In a message dated 1/22/02 10:16:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bradslaney@w... writes:

>: What does "outshopped" refer to-an existing car rebuilt
> or a newly constructed car? What was the difference between the
> Morning/Afternoon Zephyrs and the Twin Zephyrs? Were there 4 separate
> consists ?, or were only 2 consists used?

"Outshopped" in this case means the Aurora Shops rebuilt Silver Parlor and
Silver Chair the 2 flat top parolor cars into Dinette-Coaches in 1968 and one
in 1969. I would think that no exterior changes were made to either car. I
don't know if there was a small kitchen placed in the cars or they had the
"Food Vending Machines" placed in the cars like the Nebraska Zephyr in the
late 1960's. Remember the rebuilding of the CZ open section pullmans into
48 seat chair cars, no external changes were made to these cars.

Silver Alchemy was rebuilt at the Aurora Shops in 1945, thus becoming the
first Vista Dome car in the country. Outshopped as Silver Dome, I have seen
pictures of Silver Dome running in front of the articulated TCZ equipment.
Then of course Silver Castle followed in 1949 (?).

There were 2 sets of equipment used in TCZ service. Each set was serviced
over night at Chicago and St Paul. Since the schedual was so tight the
turnaround at either Chicago or St Paul there was no time to service the
Diner or the Buffet Car, all they did was do a really fast clean up of the
consist. Which is why I think the Vista Dome Obs from the KCZ were sometimes
used in place of the Buffet Cars. You would have a round end obs coupled to a
full baggage car with the flat end KCZ obs at the other end of the train.

I have seen shots of a GN Mountain Observation running with her round end
coupled to one of the fluted baggage cars.

The TCZ is a fun consist to play with, over the years many things showed up.
GN and NP Coaches, combined with the EB and NCL.

I rode the TCZ when I was a child.... Where Nature Smiles For 300 Miles....
was so true!

Loren