Re: [BRHSlist] Middle Ave

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Middle Ave
From: supchief17@a...
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 02:34:24 EST
In a message dated 1/12/02 3:32:15 AM Central Standard Time, Aeolus3@a...
writes:

> There used to be a siding that the News Agency shared with the Beacon News.
> But also before that building was the Aurora News Agency it was a Meat
> Packer. I have no idea when that Packer went out of business or moved, but
> am sure they got meat in refreg cars. And there was a dock along the siding
>
> as well. I haven't been down there to see what's left. But one thing the
> company that uses that building now is our printer, River Street Press.
>
> Middle Ave was a very interesting job.....
>
> Loren

I have an interesting story to tell you guys about the Middle Ave Job. During
the last year of service on Middle Ave, the Beacon News was the only customer
left, getting a box car of news print about once a week. I used to listen to
the scanner to hear when they went down there. During that last year the
"job" was run at about midnight or so. A lone switcher, and a box car.
Anyway....on to the story.
One night we hear the crew was on their way down, so we drove down to
watch. It was about 1 o'clock in the morning. We slowly followed the job down
the street to the Beacon News. As the crew was spotting the box car at the
parked on the tracks about 5 feet past the loading dock. As the crew slowed
to spot the car at the loading dock, the brakeman decided to walk toward the
engine instead of watching the rear end. We stood there gasping as the
knuckle of the box car bulls-eyed the hatchback window of this guys station
wagon! The crew stopped just before anymore damage was done. Over the next
hour or so, the police were called, the guy who owned the car was notified,
and the crew grumbled about what an idiot he was for parking there. The best
part was after the police arrived, and took the report, was watching the crew
pull the coupler out of the back end of the guys car as he stood and watched.
As I sometimes drive down Middle Ave, today just a paved over memory, I
will always remember that evening of "Railfanning"
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/heartland/8114/littleq.html";>Little Q Model
Railroad Club</A>
President: Mike Griesmann
(Supchief17@a...)