Re: [BRHSlist] Donated Steam Engines

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Donated Steam Engines
From: drale99@a...
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:01:34 EST
I can't speak for any of the CB&Q locomotives on display, but I have observed
how quickly and seriously old steam locos deteriorate. Back in the 70's, I
used to visit Steam Town in Vermont. They had about 50 steam engines from
various railroads. They couldn't begin to keep up with the deterioration.
Many of the locos rusted badly, and literally began to fall apart. It became
depressing to look at some of the old engines, looking so delapidated. When
they moved Steam Town to Scranton, Pa. in the 80's, I understand they had to
abandon some of the engines because they were so far gone. It is obviously
very difficult (and probably expensive) to keep the old engines presentable.
If they can't be kept in good shape, they shouldn't be displayed.
I have a major beef about old engines on display. Some are displayed without
being presented with proper attention to important detail. At Pioneer
Village in Minden, NE, they have an old Burlington 4-6-0 painted the wrong
color. In Wichita Falls, TX they have an old Burlington loco (I can't
remember the class) with white tires. Maybe some Burlington buffs in those
locations can overcome some of these aberations.
DRale Reeves