Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q interlocking model board

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q interlocking model board
From: Bob Simon <bsimon@q...>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:54:48 -0700
At 23:11 12/6/2001 -0600, you wrote:
Bob,

Thought I had deleted this but I guess I didn't. Occupancy indicators
would have been white.

Hi Russ,

Sorry I couldn't write back sooner.

Thanks for the recap of activities in and around the West Eola interlocking plant when you worked there. I'm really tickled to find someone that actually worked at the tower. As a kid I spend a few hours watching the activities in a UP tower at Cheyenne WY. Pretty cool stuff...

I uploaded some pics to the Yahoo picture area for the BRHSlist. If there is any question as to a particular inscription that is not legible in the photo, I would be glad to translate.

As you can see the model board is missing the lamp holders and jewels. Someone has stuffed a few stray lamp jewels into the empty holes. That's the way I found the board at a flea market in Longmont CO. There were two porcelain based Edison type lamp sockets mounted inside as though someone was trying to light it up for display purposes. It looks as though the board was originally mounted on pipe flanges from the bottom.

I would like to restore the board with the proper lamps and wire it to a surplus Allen Bradley PLC. I figured I could simulate trains passing through the Interlocking. Should make for a unique conversation piece.

The white occupancy lights seem consistent with what I remember from the UPs West Cheyenne tower. Bear with me here as I'm not that familiar with railroad signals and such... Would I be correct in saying that the signal indicators on the model board would have been green? Aren't the track signals at an Interlocking all red unless there is a train movement through a particular route? The green signal indicators in the plant would then show a route cleared? When they are not lit, the track signals are red?

Any guesses as to the color of the turnout indicators?

Also, can you recall if the indicator lamps in West Eola where actually the jeweled type or just translucent domes.

-Bob

BTW...I live in Loveland CO about 50 miles north of Denver on the former C&S Northern Division.