RE: [BRHSlist] Re: new graffiti artist

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Re: new graffiti artist
From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@e...>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 21:51:36 -0600
Smokin' Joe has been around for many years, along with "Colossus of Roads",
"'viso" (as in C NW Proviso), "Ratz", Michael (with a cute little
face), and lots of others. It's getting to be a lost art - and it is, in
fact, art - since there are so few switchmen left and so little "boxcar"
business left on the railroads. Most of this art originated in the yards
when some trainman had to walk the length of a mile long drag freight and
thought leaving his mark would be appropriate. Of course, part of the
problem nowadays, is that the railroads no longer provide the chalk! Back
in the "good old days" the switch job foreman chalk marked each car so the
pin-puller knew how many cars to let go, and the track they were supposed to go
into. I've been photographing this boxcar art for over twenty five years,
and could probably come pretty close to a date when "Smokin' Joe" first hit the
rails. Philip A. Weibler