Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Book

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Book
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:00:53 -0800
Florian --

My interest is also fairly early, though I am not a purist and am willing
to include some plausible looking equipment from the early-mid '50s in my
roster (I draw the line at Chinese red or 2nd-gen diesels, though). That
said, I find Spoor's color guide an absolutely basic reference, like Corbin
& Kerka's "Steam Locomotives..." or Glick's book of Passenger Car diagrams.
You need to use Spoor carefully, since most of his photos are from the
1960s or '70s. A lot of the equipment shown in his book didn't exist in the
1940s (and much of what did exist then is, unfortunately, not covered).
Moreover, the paint and lettering styles on many of the older cars which
ARE included have been altered (Roman lettering replaced by ribbon
lettering; mineral red paint by Chinese red). But there is still enough
there to give you some excellent pointers on how to paint and letter your
equipment, as well as useful "negative" information (what NOT to do --
i.e., later styles to avoid). I also find many useful clues in the photos
on how various cars weathered over the years. Spoors captions to the photos
provide much good additional information on the history of these cars and
on how their painting, lettering, and other features changed over time.

The problem is we just don't have many color photos from the 1940s, and
those we do have often aren't that good. Therefore, guides like Spoor's,
and the other Morningsun and Four Ways West color books by Spoor, Holck,
Goen, and Fulcomer, are about the best we have of the Burlington &
subsidiaries.

Good luck,
Jonathan Harris

-------