"Motors"

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: "Motors"
From: drale99@a...
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:22:08 EDT
Speaking of "motors" -- this is one of the most misunderstood and misused
words I know of. The railroad use was proper, because the gas-electrics and
diesel-electrics actually had "motors". Automobiles and trucks do not have
"motors", they have "engines". Airplanes do not have motors, they have
"engines". "Ford Motor Company" and "General Motors" are both misnomers
(believe it or not). Steam locomotives, which I recall were referred to as
"engines" on the Burlington, actually were "engines".
My recollection of the use of the word "motor" was specifically in reference
to gas-electrics. I have vivid memories of my dad, who was an agent-operator
in the 20's, 30's, 40's, and early 50's, calling them "motors", not "motor
cars".
DRale Reeves